Great British Bake Off: Week 1

Monday 10 August 2015

Hey guys,

Hope you’re all well?! So living up to my blog post about The Great British Bake Off last week of attempting the technical bakes on my blog, and showing the results good or bad, here we are with week one, and this is definitely bad... great start hey!



So as you may know, the technical bake this week was a walnut cake from Mary Berry. Now the cake itself turned out great! It had a lovely colour, a lovely bounce to it when it came out of the oven and tasted great. (I had a cheeky taste from the bits that came off in the mould!) the walnuts we evenly distributed and didn’t sink too! YAY!

Next I attempted the caramelised walnuts. This is where it all started to go wrong. I had three attempts at the caramel and all three attempts went to pot... each and every time I always crystallised the sugar and there was no sign of it turning to caramel any time soon. But like a trooper, if you don’t succeed try and try again. I did try... and try again, and then I decided to stop because I was close to running out of sugar. Oops.

The butter cream came next, just a plain and simple butter cream, where can you go wrong. It’s a favourite for everyone and makes a great filling which it did!

Then the boiled icing came. Oh dear. It was like de ja vu. It just would not go right. I was standing there whisking this for a good twenty minutes and it was so grainy! It tasted lovely, but you could feel the granules of sugar and it was not enjoyable. So in the end I accepted defeat...

Although the icing tasted great, I feel like it was a lot of effort that wasn’t needed. The cake tastes lovely without it and I feel like it would be overwhelmingly sweet with the icing on too, plus very bad for your teeth! Not only that I feel like this recipe is a lot of trouble for an icing, and an Italian meringue would give the same effect and would be much easier to create. Sorry Mary!

Overall, this week did not go very well. I would defiantly be 12th place! Oops... better luck next time hey?!

Did you try this recipe out? If you did let me know in the comments, I would love to see anyone else’s opinion of it too!

Unfortunately, as you may know I am going away to Rome next week, and so I am going to miss the Great British Bake Off, which I am quite upset about. This means I would be able to do the next couple of technical bakes for obvious reasons. Sorry! I will make sure I do it one I’m back though I promise!

Anyway until next time!


Love Ky 

2 comments:

  1. It's so cool that you tried out this cake, it looks fantastic! X

    http://oliviaredfern.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! I don't think so but it tastes great!

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS